Training placements at the Hospital
Professionals from hospitals outside Spain
These placements are designed for specialists or specialists in training at foreign hospitals. They are regulated by the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, which has to authorise them. We receive professionals from 28 countries to carry out additional training of up to six months as part of the healthcare team in over 40 specialisations. The high volume of applications per year and the need to make all training programmes compatible in an environment that is respectful for patients requires us to be very strict with the streaming and the admission requirements.
Application and incorporation process
- The application will be made by filling out a form. You should keep in mind that the paperwork can take between 9 and 12 months from the request. If you know the professionals with whom you want to make your stay, it is advisable that you contact them first to know the availability. Remember that only one formative stay and one hospital can be requested.
- The Hospital Teaching Commission will evaluate the application and will answer in the shortest possible time. If so, it will be communicated to the Department of Health (competent body of the autonomous community).
- If it is accepted, the Teaching Committee will reserve the place and send the applicant a formal acceptance, signed by the President of the Teaching Committee, and the acceptance of the autonomous community. This acceptance is only valid during the specified dates and is necessary to start the procedures with the Ministry of Health. It does not generate a future compromise on the part of the hospital if it is not accompanied by the corresponding authorization from the Ministry of Health.
- Later, the interested must begin the procedures with the Ministry of Health through the web following their instructions. The Ministry opens the deadline to evaluate the applications two times per year: January-February and June-July.
- After this, you will receive the resolution of the Ministry. Once the stay is authorized, the Ministry of Health will close the file. Therefore, a change of date will imply a new procedure.
- On the day of incorporation, contact the Teaching Directorate for the appropriate procedures. Remember that it is essential that you provide a photocopy of the accident and health insurance and another one of the liability insurance. Likewise, you must sign a confidentiality and teaching commitment document, in which you specify that you know, understand and accept the conditions established by the Hospital.
- At the time of undertaking the placement it is necessary to have a professional or training relationship with a public or private institution in a country that has subscribed to the cultural collaboration agreement with Spain.
- The applicant must hold a university degree in medicine, pharmacy or nursing.
- Professionals with a qualification in a health sciences specialism or who are undertaking training in one of the following specialisms and that meet the qualification requirements as follows may also apply for a training placement.
- The maximum duration of a placement is six months. In exceptional cases, this may be extended for a further six months.L’autorització de l’estada formativa només serà vàlida per a les dates concretes detallades en la resolució del Ministeri de Sanitat, Serveis Socials i Igualtat.
- The training placement is only authorised and valid for the specific dates detailed in the decision by the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality.
- Once the training period has concluded, the Teaching Committee will issue a certificate stating the activities carried out and the assessment of the training placement as satisfactory or unsatisfactory in the view of the report issued by the professionals who have supervised the training.
- Depending on the assessment, The Ministry of Health will issue a certificate accrediting the training placement.
- Neither the certificate from the Hospital nor that from the Ministry may be used to obtain a qualification as a Spanish specialist or for the conversion of the corresponding foreign qualification.
Professionals’ relationship with Vall d’Hebron University Hospital
- They attend the Hospital grounds for the sole purpose of training and retraining.
- Approval of the placement does not establish any type of working relationship with the Hospital. Professionals shall not receive any kind of financial compensation or payment from the Hospital during their training period.
- Professionals are subject to the internal rules and regulations of the Hospital, as well as to the specific rules of the department where they carry out their training.
- They must have accident insurance and a policy that covers medical care. The Hospital accepts no responsibility for any kind of claim due to common illness or any accident that may occur as a result of their time in the centre’s facilities, as the placement is solely for training purposes.
- The Hospital reserves the right to revoke the placement agreement at any time if it considers there has been a breach of the established conditions.
- Professionals will have a training timetable agreed with their supervisor according to their programme and approved by the head of department or the nursing supervisor.
- They are not authorised to sign clinical documentation and are not responsible for the care of patients admitted to the hospital, outpatients or those attending emergency departments.
- The activities they are involved in will be planned, guided, supervised and signed off by professionals working in the healthcare unit where the placement takes place, and they must have the agreement of patients to be present or take part in diagnosis and treatment via clinical interview, examination or any type of procedure.
- Professionals are obliged to understand and respect Spanish legislation on personal data protection (Law 15/1999 of 13th December) and to ensure professional secrecy both during and after their placement at the Hospital.
- They must have civil liability insurance that covers the risks that may occur as a result of the activities carried out during the placement.
Vall d'Hebron Classroom
Ever conscious of the commitment to knowledge by professionals at Vall d’Hebron, in 2007 we implemented the Vall d’Hebron Classroom (Aula Vall d’Hebron). Its main aims are knowledge creation and allowing healthcare professionals to update their competencies, at the same time as giving the public access to subjects of interest for their health.Enter the classroom